Shameless Scrounge!!

Everything else here.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

LICM-ORG-UK

Shameless Scrounge!!

Post by LICM-ORG-UK »

Hello folks. Now here's a thing, I restore cameras for The Living Image Camera Museum. Google it if you like! Every now and then I need to restore leather work, and just occasionally I have to recreate manufacturer logos. I created an incredibly tricky analogue process (documented here http://licm.org.uk/livingImage/Project01.html). Shortly I will be looking at a camera, an Ihagee Parvola from 1933, that will need new logo stamps making. But my own method is unlikely to work owing to the Ihagee logo style. By now, the penny will be beginning to drop I think.....

Is there someone here who could volunteer to to make me two small stamps to impress new logos into the replacement covering. At the moment it's only a theory in my head, I know nothing of 3D printing, but it seemed like a likely route.

The stamp would need to withstand a relatively large crush load, the sort of force a flower press can deliver, but it's not measured in tons, probably in the order of 10kg/cm2. And could not be water soluble as the leather needs to be damp when in compression to ensure a good impression is recorded. The logo is obviously mirrored for this application.

I could supply a graphic of the logo at the two sizes required, one about 5cm long, the other about 3.5cm long, both oblong.
Either linework or a solid. The depth doesn't need to be that much, 3mm off the bed would be plenty.

I'm hoping there is someone her who would be interested in this possible application, and I am intersted to know if it's possible.

Best Regards, and apologies for gate crashing your community,
Keith South
www.licm.org.uk

Dan365

Re: Shameless Scrounge!!

Post by Dan365 »

The way to do this is fusion as you can import an image canvas and then trace and extrude, mesh mixer and finally get a print.

My fusion skills are useless, however that is how to do it

LICM-ORG-UK

Re: Shameless Scrounge!!

Post by LICM-ORG-UK »

Hi Dan,
I traced it in photoshop, then imported the path to illustrator... which amazingly can extrude that to a £D printer file. I sent this to my local 3D printer and voila!
Documented here. http://licm.org.uk/livingImage/Project07.html

Thanks for dropping by though