Prusa i3 Clone Blocked Nozzle?

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

FJBH10

Prusa i3 Clone Blocked Nozzle?

Post by FJBH10 »

Hey all,

I'm new to 3d printers and so I would really appreciate some advice!
My printer seems to work ok and I successfully printed one of the 'Benchy' boats, all ok no problems with the print. The one thing though is that once the print finishes, everything cools down and the extruder gets completely blocked. When trying another print the filament extrudes as a kind of 'spider's web' type thickness and just doesn't print properly, tangles around the nozzle and so-on. I don't know if there is some really obvious solution to this that I am missing because as it is it blocks after every print. I have cleared the blockages twice now and don't think I can find a solution on my own. The printer came with some cheap filament but I have also bought some better filament myself. I have only been using the cheap filament so far as I didn't want to waste the better stuff fixing this issue. I am sure the nozzle isn't too low, I didn't change the print height after the successful print so the problem seems to come from when the nozzle cools. I have a 1.75mm nozzle and I am printing PLA with nozzle temp 200C bed temp 45C.

Thanks in advance guys,
FJBH10

steve3dprinters

Re: Prusa i3 Clone Blocked Nozzle?

Post by steve3dprinters »

3D Printer’s nozzle could get blocked due to a number of reasons and there are number of ways to get away from this trouble. You can use the temperature increase or atomic pull method to unclog the clogged nozzle. Make sure you keep track of all the safety precautions in this.

FJBH10

Re: Prusa i3 Clone Blocked Nozzle?

Post by FJBH10 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've found the solution though, because I am new to 3d printing I didn't really dare change any of the settings in Cura. Changing the print speed helped a lot, I think my issue was coming from the fact that the print head was moving much too fast for the extruder to keep up, lowering the print speed means it manages to print a proper layer of filament each time and doesn't spool around the head like before, stopping any blockages.