psu not working

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

PAUL1962

psu not working

Post by PAUL1962 »

HI guys Iam new to 3d printing and have bought a purusa i3 printer, it came the other day and I set about putting it togeather, all seemed to go well, all wires are in the right place, but the only power cable I have was a plug that has 3 wires at the other end. brown , blue and the earth , so no switch or button, ( I have emailed the company to send me the correct wires) so pluged them into the PSU (making sure all was in the right place which it was). and nothing no LED lights no LCD screen no noises nothing,

my question was when it was first plugged in I had no lights etc on anything now is this because I have no switch/button
or was it the PSU that was dead to start with any help guys would be great

I have sent a email to the company for the missing parts and now for another psu

also could I attach another psu from an CB radio I have to see if it will "boot up " ?

thanks guys

PAUL1962

Re: psu not working

Post by PAUL1962 »

I guess no one knows ...

Paul

iDig3Dprinting

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

Did you receive a psu with your printer?

Perhaps you could supply a photograph of the printer with cables etc..

If there is no on off switch then the circuit would be live when you turned the power on at the plug.

You could have a faulty PSU but the first thing you should do is check that all the wiring is correct (with it unplugged from the mains of course).
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

PAUL1962

Post by PAUL1962 »

Hi and yes came with a PSU I wired it up as per their video etc all connections were ok, plugged it in and nothing,
someone mentioned connecting the USB to the mother board but still nothing, after making sure it was on 230 volts not 110
it started to hiss and then white smoke then BANG I unplugged it all left it to cool down, but even before that I had no green LED light, no LCD screen and no red Led on the board, only the Fan the one that cools the mother board, was on very strange..

I have sent various emails back to the sender and they are sending me a lcd screen a psu and a extruder fan, then maybe I can get it working

thanks

Paul

iDig3Dprinting

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

The BANG and smoke part does not sound good (sure you didn't have it on 110v), I take it this was the PSU. It is quite possible you fried your mainboard as well although it does not sound like this was working.

If you had power to the cooling fan then that would suggest that the board was getting power. Obviously we cannot check the wiring but assuming this was all good then it sounds like the motherboard was not working. Were you able to manually operate the printer with it connected up?
iDig3DPrinting -

PAUL1962

Post by PAUL1962 »

I have managed to get an old atx pc psu unit to work and wired it up to the mother board, I got my volt meter tester onthe various connections on the board, so got power from psu to board, power from board to the no 1 fan and power to the heated bed but checked everything else on the board and there isnt any power going from psu to anything else so thinks board is fried as well as the psu which does not light up or work at all so not only the PSU,

but I also think the lcd screen and the main board are kaput, the company are meant to be sending the PSU and LCD screen out to me but not the main board so will have to source on from else where, so apart from a company in Middlesex where else sell them ?

but cant do anyhtink untill the stuff arrives so frutrating having to wait, but hopefully soon I will be up and running watch this space ........

Paul

iDig3Dprinting

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

we don't know your board or printer specifically but they are easy to source. use this as an opportunity to get a good one. you could use a ramps 1.4 and these are on amazon. but we can't say what board is good for your printer.
iDig3DPrinting -