Printer reads high (670c+) temperature even without sensor connected

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Tempy111

Printer reads high (670c+) temperature even without sensor connected

Post by Tempy111 »

Well.. I got a real dozzy of a problem right now.. after a okay print, I shut the printer off.. no problem.. next day, went to use it and the cooling fan on the printer head (one of two) turns on after a second (so, when it's booted).. then after a few seconds, it says it's failed heat error #1, it's reached the software temperature limit, shut down or restart.

It's a Replicator 1 Dual clone. At first, I thought maybe it was something up with the Thermocoupler. It's been a pain trying to find the correct Type T (yes, it uses a Type T and not a Type K. the metal colours are a Copper and a silver) and I through maybe I had slightly screwed up and maybe it wasn't connected right or something wrong with the cable. However, EVEN when I unplug it (and the other one, so no head thermocouplers are installed) it still does the same thing. It thinks it's 670c+ and starts to raise and then errors. When it errors, it brakes connection with USB so it was a pain to get access to the control panel, but I was able to do a factory reset.. However that didn't fix anything. I've unplugged it for some time to clear any butter and nothing. I can't see anything or see how anything might have lead to a short circuit on the board for it to think it's reading such a high temperature but I'll have to unseat the whole board (something I don't want to do unless I really have to) in order to know for sure..

I'm kinda afraid the worse case is I need to get a new mighty board.. I think it's a Rev G, but I'm not sure where the detail is printed and I can't quite see anything, apart from a sticker with a serial 'gc1610206'. if something has happened, I would like to know HOW and what but.. fixing is, of course, the main thing..

Anyone got any ideas?

iDig3Dprinting

Re: Printer reads high (670c+) temperature even without sensor connected

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

I would try a new thermistor
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

Tempy111

Re: Printer reads high (670c+) temperature even without sensor connected

Post by Tempy111 »

thanks but no matter what thermocouple I use, same thing, even when I have none plugged in.
I've brought a new motherboard and installed that and it's fine now, and comes with a firmware upgrade so that's fine ^_^