CR-10s Mesh Leveling Question

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

makeiteasy3d

CR-10s Mesh Leveling Question

Post by makeiteasy3d »

Hi,

I’m new here but was hopning someone could answer my question as i can’t seem to find a straight answer from googling!

I am 99.9% certain that the x-gantry on my CR-10s is bowed upwards ever so slightly. This causes the nozzle to always be too far away in the centre (or too low at the sides if I raise the bed).

I don’t really want to have to replace the gantry, so my question is:

If I update the firmware to use mesh levelling, will it be able to compensate for the gap caused by the bowed gantry?

I want to be sure it will help my issue before I upgrade, since the upgrading process looks to be quite complicated!

(And I have already replaced the glass with 6mm thick mirror that is definitely flat!)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

martinc

Re: CR-10s Mesh Leveling Question

Post by martinc »

I don't know about mesh leveling but I have a lot of experience with CNC machines. My advise is that you should do all you can to get the gantry straight first. There is probably a way to improve it but how depends on the way it is designed and fixed. It is true that software can be used to compensate for axes which are not straight but simpler is better sometimes.
Being 99% certain the gantry is not straight suggests to me that you haven'y actually measured it to know for sure. Make sure the glass plate is really flat, then try using a depth gauge fixed next t the print nozzle measure the height to the glass plate as you move the nozzle along the gantry, or if you haven't got a depth gauge, set the nozzle close enough to the glass plate that you can fit a feeler gauge or a piece of paper between the nozzle and the glass plate and see how it changes across the plate. If you can't get the gantry straight by some mechanical adjustment then I would agree that software compensation is a reasonable fix.
CAVEAT: My experience with 3D printers is currently zero. (Came here to learn).

iDig3Dprinting

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

Agree with @martinc . Its probably best to see if you can fix the issue rather than try and come up with some work around. You want to reduce as much error as possible caused by the build.

It could be that you smooth rods are not straight.

The fact that you have noticed it suggests that it is probably quite a marked effect.
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

makeiteasy3d

Post by makeiteasy3d »

Thanks for both of your input guys, in the end I decided to try the mesh levelling, and it worked!

The bow in the x gantry is only around a 0.1mm, so I felt this was better than pulling the thing apart and potentially indroducing more issues.

And as a bonus I have had to learn how to compile the stock marlin firmware to make it compatible with a cr-10s, so that was interesting at least.

Cheers.

iDig3Dprinting

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

congratulations :D
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.