Newbie with dead printer

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

mikey

Newbie with dead printer

Post by mikey »

Hi,
I bought an abandoned 3D printer kit, the manual was missing but from things I have read since it appears to be a generic Reprap i3 Prusia, the circuit board is a GT2560 and I have been getting most of my info for it from the Geeetech wiki site.
Never got it working properly, main problem was that the extruder would jump to the left by up to 10mm at random intervals.
I asked for help on a prominent forum for Reprap printers and the suggestion was to load new firmware, which seems to have failed and all I am getting now is the backlight on the display coming on and the green light on the circuit board and a red light flashing intermittently, when this happened the suggestions from the other forum dried up.
So wondered if anyone on here might be able to help.

iDig3Dprinting

Re: Newbie with dead printer

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

Hi Mikey,

The original slippage was probably a mechanical issue to do with the belt drive for the x axis? Now thought you have probably created a problem for yourself by uploading new firmware. If this is a geetech 3d printer (??) then you could try getting their recommended firm ware from their website. Have you followed these instructions: http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/GT2560 ?

Essentially it seems that you can just use repetier, which is a very common baord set up. What you will need to do is check the settings in the Configuration.h file in the arduino ide or a text editor and see if they fit you set up. Have you tried connecting to it with repetier host software? it may be working but the LCD is not configured correctly. Check what LCD you have and make sure you have selected the correct on.
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.