Test of Hairspray as adhesives in 3D printing

User reviews of hardware and parts.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

iDig3Dprinting

Test of Hairspray as adhesives in 3D printing

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

We have been trying to find a UK available brand of hairspray that works well as an adhesive for the first layer of a print. So what we did is start some trials of brands in the hope of finding one that works well.

You can see the results of our 3D printing hairspray trials on our website.
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

PjLLL

Re: Test of Hairspray as adhesives in 3D printing

Post by PjLLL »

I tried cheap hairspray but couldn't get it to work at all (I think it was a cheap Sainsburys "weatherproof" one?). I was surprised that it is so talked about. I have also tried 3DLAC and this seems to work every time on glass.

With your tests, did the bed get cleaner towards the last set of tests and could that of helped the last spray? I love the finish glass gives the base layer and would go back if I could find a reliable way of prints sticking and then being able to get them off!

However, I eventually moved to a sprung steel PEI material and this has been a revelation. Base layers stick well with no problems. I have printed PLA, ASA and PETG on it. I suppose it helps that I learned about bed levelling and clearences for the first layer when trying to get prints to stick to the bed. BLTOUCH also helps.

MJ1959

Post by MJ1959 »

I sprayed hairspray on. It's sloppy, drippy, and tough to remove. The glue stick glides on easily and works well.

Fortunately, it was in the past; now, with my Lulzbot TAZ 6, I don't bother (except for certainly materials I still glue stick).

PjLLL

Post by PjLLL »

Hairspray and 3DLAC are water soluble, so a bit of washing up liquid and hot water will clean it away and degrease the bed (the removeable bit, obviously!).

But as you say, a very clean print surface and a well dialled in first layer will solve almost all problems. For problems, I'd use 3DLAC.