Filament becomes brittle

All things relating to the materials used with 3D printers.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Stationred

Filament becomes brittle

Post by Stationred »

Hi, Am pretty much a newbie regarding 3d printing, now have a Creality cr-10 which is proving amazingly intuitive. Have printed many upgrades for the printer itself some small and some larger and have played with some more whimsical models which have been a great success until I put a new spool of black PLA filament feeding into the printer, this went OK for so long then thing started to go wrong, the filament had become very brittle and wouldn't extrude well, eventually snapped. After all that preamble, which I trust makes sense, my query is: Has anyone any idea of the cause of the brittleness and can anything useful be done with the remainder of the spool?

iDig3Dprinting

Re: Filament becomes brittle

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

Filament will become brittle. It is going to happen as it ages. Best thing is to look at how you store it and keep it in a cool, dry & dark place.

Best thing to do is recycle the filament and buy some new filament. Also buying better quality filament will improve it's shelf life.
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

steveprinters29

Post by steveprinters29 »

3D printing filaments too have an expiry date and most importantly, these are needed to be kept in airtight containers to prevent the action of moisture on them. If they turned brittle, they could be unsuitable to print objects and using them forcefully could affect your 3D printers.

https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/d ... 3d-printer

Reece

Post by Reece »

Filament really is a “get what you pay for” product. Different filaments have different characteristics and behave in different ways depending on what conditions they exposed to. There is a company called Florence tech that I use and I have mentioned them before on here but the quality of there filament is very very good. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to give their details out but I’m sure they are online.