Why Are They Using Facebook???

Everything else here.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

KenW

Why Are They Using Facebook???

Post by KenW »

My interest is the Tina2, so I am monitoring the Tina2 user groups on Facebook.

What happens over there is somebody has a problem and posts a question (often without much in the way of a video to show what's happening, or even photos) and expects an informed answer. What they usually get is people similarly inexperienced offering guesses.

Facebook has an immediacy, but it's not very good at curated information. A user group is purely reverse-chronological, there's no means to divide discussions into subject. Much easier to find existing information on a forum such as this.

And yet they don't join forums so fas as I can tell, they just let t he blind lead the blind on FB. Same with the Silhouette cutter/plotter – no forums, just FB goups!

CrazyIvan

Re: Why Are They Using Facebook???

Post by CrazyIvan »

Yes, I see it happening and see you're trying! I won't get involved over there though, make them come here if they want my expertise. I suggest you stop beating your head against a brick wall.

Why are they only using FB? Prob because they use it for everything else and see no reason to go elsewhere, nor have any experience of special interest forums. Also they're light-weights. Anyone serious about what they are doing would look elsewhere, and find their way to one forum or another even if not this one.

Tina2 is marketed as a toy. We know it can be used as a starter printer, and is more than a toy, and requires some commitment to get the best out of it, but how many are bought as toys and then consigned to the back of a cupboard?

You could also ask why there are not more people here. There are a lot of sign-ups, but not many active ones. For one thing, I think there was not enough activity for people to stick around. I'm trying to address that, but I can only really do it for Tina2. We need people willing to champion whatever printer they have and stimulate discussion about it. But the same as everything else, forum involvement takes commitment. Not many have the free time.

Some people don't want to share what they know. I verge on that, giving knowledge way for free seems like a bad idea, but I have benefitted from others so this is pay-forward.

3dadmin
Site Admin

Post by 3dadmin »

Totally agree (but im biased). Facebook might have a lot of people but most of the content is low effort and just an unorganized mess.

Maybe a reminder email is in order to old members :lol:

KenW

Post by KenW »

Good arguments.

I'll stick around on FB and try to drive people this way!

Shylie

Post by Shylie »

3dadmin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:20 pm Totally agree (but im biased). Facebook might have a lot of people but most of the content is low effort and just an unorganized mess.

Maybe a reminder email is in order to old members :lol:
Indeed, Facebook's plethora of content may be overwhelming, with no depth or organization. Forums typically have more focused and moderated debates, making information easier to explore.GB WhatsApp Download