noob struggling to get started

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

iDig3Dprinting

Re: noob struggling to get started

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

Is the z axis not moving at all? If so this would suggest that your stepper motors are not moving. This could be down to the motors themselves or the stepper drivers. Is the Z lead screw turning? If it is it can also be down to the configuration of steps per mm for the z access, i.e. it is not moving up enough. or it could be that the extruder steps per mm is too high so that it is over extruding. either way the nozzle would not be moving sufficiently in the z plane to not get stuck on the previous layer.

What you need to look at is the configuration.h file and the recommended steps/mm for the stepper motors.
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker »

The threaded Z axis rod isn't lined up and is jamming the motor, it's off a big bit. tried the motor with the rod uncoupled and it works fine, but not when the screw rod is coupled up. It's a pain in the bahookey is this thing.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker »

I have cleared up the misaligned threaded Z rod and the Z axis motor is now going up and down with manual control.
I'll do a test cube when I get this back together.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker »

Success, I have printed a cube, now where is the Borg, haha
It was the Z axis threaded rod sticking and this must have been overloading the motor.

I'll see how I get on with the printer now.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker »

iDig3D,
What do you mean about the configuration.h file and the recommended steps/mm for the stepper motor? I'm new to all this, I was an engineer 50 years ago but this computer printing jargon is above me for now. What is .h file and how do you do these things?
I appreciate your interest.

iDig3Dprinting

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

I don't know what firmware the printer is using but there is usually a file called configuration.h that can be altered prior to reflashing the firmware on the board.

NB/. DONT REFLASH YOUR BOARD UNLESS YOU HAVE A BACK UP OF THE SOFTWARE AND IT ALLOWS YOU TO REFLASH IT OTHERWISE YOU COULD BRICK YOUR MACHINE

Anyway in this file are settings for the amount of steps the motor moves per mm.

You can calibrate these using our calibration cube.

If it is working that is very good though. You just have to get in there and play with it.
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker »

Thanks for the reply, I understand this is a huge learning curve but I love the whole concept of 3d printing and for now I'm really happy I'm getting this machine working. Printed out an empty cube tonight with no lid/top and it looks ace, like spun white silk.
Cheers.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker »

iDig,
here's the link to the rd printer I bought.

hope it works.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker »

p.s. 3D not rd.

Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Hi, I have just come looking on here to see if anyone else has had problems with the Ender 2 Z axis and found your post.

I started to put it together last night and spotted the problem. My initial plan was to add a spacer to behind the motor but it's also out of position sideways.
I am now thinking of opening up the hole where the brass nut is fitted to allow it all to line up properly.

Can I ask how you fixed yours ?