Thermocoupler reading odd - CTC sailfish

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Tempy111

Thermocoupler reading odd - CTC sailfish

Post by Tempy111 »

I got a CTC standard replicator clone with Sailfish installed. a while back the thermocouple broke which happens every so often when the wire gets a bit too close to the hot end and kinda burns through.. anyway.. nothing odd there..

But when I connected up a new coupler, it was erratic with it's readings, then, when I was told to look at adjusting the PID settings, it fixed itself in away.. settings were now stable.. but aren't right.. When printing at 190 (which I normally do), there were ALOT of strings and some spikes.. so I tried lowering the temp.. and I've got it to 160, and its still doing the same thing, though much lesser (though it's a bit colder right now and it's being a bit worse again).. I also had tried going higher, but to no real effect. I have replaced the coupler, trying a few ones, and no difference was noted.

While these are couplers I normally use and don't often have a problem, stock ones had different metals.. one was a silvery metal and one more copper, but the only ones I can find (and what I normally end up using) are both different silver coloured metal mixes..

anyone have any ideas? I don't think the sensor chip on the board has gone bad.. and it would be really annoying as it's a fairly new board, but.. I'm not sure what's up if I can't seam to make a difference

Jack

Re: Thermocoupler reading odd - CTC sailfish

Post by Jack »

Could be a faulty coupler

Tempy111

Post by Tempy111 »

could be.. though as I said, I tried a bunch.. some brand new.. so while it's possible, it seams unlikely and I can't remember the correct way to test them with something like a multimeter

Jack

Post by Jack »

Have you tested the heating element or extruder to see if they are working properly

Tempy111

Post by Tempy111 »

mm.. can't see anything wrong with the extruder itself bit.. the heating element? … mm.. should be fine and it does heat up... but I see what you mean.. if it was on the blink, but would that interfere with the reading of the sensor?

Tempy111

Post by Tempy111 »

erm.. mm.. I decided to try yet another Thermocouple which.. I think I might have done a bit on it to rewrite it from an older brake or something, anyway.. while still printing via a test print at 160.. it's coming out fine.. (well, it's 60% right now so I can't fully tell till it's 100% done but still.. I can see enough to know it's much better at least.

even though I had tried a few different couples in the past ¬_¬ oh well..
though I must have knocked the left hand sensor cause that's all over the place and failed.. oh well, I don't dual print that often.. if at all really..

anyway.. Thanks ^_^ I'll let you know if it is fine (though still... 160 is a .. okay temp but a bit cool.. and it's a cool day really..)

Jack

Post by Jack »

Glad to know you have almost got it working now

Jack

Post by Jack »

would that interfere with the reading of the sensor?

Should think so because its the thing heating do if that's not right the thermo coupler reading could be off I guess

But if you have got it working I would just cary on using it as is until it dose it again but hopefully it wont

Good luck lol

Tempy111

Post by Tempy111 »

yeah, thanks.
It might have a minor bit i'll have to check to see if that is creating interfering but I don't think it is.

Print is finished.. looks good, there is a very tiny bit of spikeing, in about one place, so that's more then acceptable, and there is a bit of angel hair between some bits, which is also so fine that's fine. one part of the model, I think a thin support must have fallen down, but it's created a cone shape, and the angle and slope is pretty much perfect. pretty much no droping at all, which.. mm.. is probably a bit better then normal ^_^

Jack

Post by Jack »

Nice if you want to get rid of stringing gently use a heat gun to melt thin strands