New user Ender 3 pro

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

amaurotto

New user Ender 3 pro

Post by amaurotto »

Hello
I recently got an Ender 3 pro and I started printing with it using PETG.
I should have read a few guides before because while my prints were very nice they stuck far too well to the printing bed and removing them was a painful process with the result that I cannot remove one skirting anymore.
After reading a few guides online I purchased the scotch blue painter tape and covered my bed with it, I also increased my first print distance from the width of a A4 sheet to that of a business card.
The first print wouldn't stick to the bed.
I then passed some stick glue to the bed, no luck still.
Eventually I had to lower again the distance so that the first print is well smeared on the surface of the tape, and I have a good adhesion, but that means every time I have to replace the damaged tape and that is annoying.

so far I have collected a few question and I hope someone well versed on this could help me:
  1. What is the optimal distance for the first print? I have acceptable results with the thickness of an A4 sheet but sometime the petg doesnt stick to the bed at all.
  2. What are the optimal settings for PETG? I use Cura and generic petg, following some guides I have lowered the temperature of my bed to 60C and set nozzle at 225C. I also checked infill before walls. And it seems ok but really not optimal as I still get plenty of stringing.
  3. I really don't like PLA fragility so I went straight for PETG, but I was not expecting the adhesion issues, any suggestion to make sure that the first layer sticks to the tape? I use a stick of glue from wilko, but might be better to use hairspray?
  4. Any other suggestion would be really appreciated as I am a total novice.
I printed already a few improvement parts for my printer and they were perfectly fitting BUT i had to sand lightly the base that was flaring up a bit with the bed at 70C.
Many thanks