advice help for a newbie

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

greenplane

advice help for a newbie

Post by greenplane »

Hi there
I am looking to buy a simple to use 3d printer . to enable me to manufacture Rc car parts and general model parts.
As i have already seen a few people around the world who do this quite successfully.
There seem to be a lot of varying prices points and sizes , the maximum size of part would be no more than 200mmx100mmx100mm. mainly in black but for commission work i would offer colours for people to choose.
so what would the experts here recommend?
thanks
Mike

iDig3Dprinting

Re: advice help for a newbie

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

Hi Mike,

This is going to depend, obviously, to a large extent on budget. The other question you will want to think about is do you want to be able to print in different materials. Most 3D printers use PLA, and some can also print with ABS. But for RC cars you may want to consider being able to use Carbon fibre impregnated filament like ColorFabb XTCF20. This is a strong and stiff filament that would be better for producing robust parts for a RC car (although only in black).

There tends to be a pay-off between ease of use and versatility. The easier to use systems tend to be quite locked down on what you can do with them. This also means that there are restrictions of the different materials you can use and the level of control you have over the printer settings.

The Makerbot Replicator+ is a good machine which is relatively easy to use with the Makerware software but is also very versatile. You could also look at XYZprinting's range of 3D printers. There are many of these machines which are designed to be very simple to use but you will need to use their own brand filament. The Exception to this is the PRO range which have an open filament system. For the size you want you would need the Da Vinci Pro.

But if you don't mind printing in just PLA or ABS then the UPBOX 3D printer by Tiertime is a very good printer.

For your need you will have to think about price and materials you want to use.

Best regards,

iDig3Dprinting
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

steve3dprinters

Re: advice help for a newbie

Post by steve3dprinters »

Hello Guys,

Searching the right 3D Printer for your application can be quite difficult. I think you should ask yourself these two questions before buying 3d printers

• Will I need 3D Printer daily or at least 2–3 times a week?
• Do I need 3D Printing for time critical outputs and projects?

If your answer is no, then buying a 3D Printer is probably not the right way. The most productive and profitable way for you to use 3D Printing will be to outsource it to Expert 3D printer companies like 3D printer Online Store

Thanks