Printing Black Rubber Gasket for car lamp ??

Get help on your object. Also the place to share objects for free or just show off your design.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Dinoman

Printing Black Rubber Gasket for car lamp ??

Post by Dinoman »

Hi, I am new to 3d printing and not even got a printer yet, so I am looking for some advice on what to buy and what material I can print with, as I am into cars, and I would like to be able to draw/design on Freecad some car parts which I can 3d print and then have someone else mold or cast them in Aluminum etc, First thing I want to make is a small rectangular black rubber Gasket for a car rear reflector 80mm X 55mm X 6mm thick, so can all 3d printers print in a variety of materials and where do you get the Materials from, again Thanks for any help, Regards DM

PjLLL

Re: Printing Black Rubber Gasket for car lamp ??

Post by PjLLL »

You can print "rubber like" items in TPU. Nothing you can 3D print will be heat resistant as the materials are melted to make the part at between 185C and 240C.

Usually you need a direct drive extruder to print TPU but I have had success using my Ender3 V2. You will need to do a number of small test prints to get it right but this is all part of the hobby. There are loads of Youtube videos on 3D printing. Try CHEP, Teaching Tech or Thomas Sanladerer (for the more technical stuff). There are loads of others but these are a good start and not too annoying to watch.

Freecad can be hard to use. Have a look at TinkerCAD, this is as easy as Powerpoint and makes you think how to build in 3D. It should be easy to make a gasket with TinkerCAD.

As to where to buy, there are a number of options. I am assuming you are in the UK.

First, don't be tempted by cheap filament. It's hard to print with and causes more print failures so works out expensive in the long run.

Good filament options are Technology Outlet, Printermods and Filamentive. I have used all with great success. For TPU, I have used NinjaFlex on my Ender with no problems. I have changed to bowden to Capricorn so that may have helped. All the cheap stuff from Amazon and a couple of small retailers I have purchased to "test the printer" early on have all gone in the bin as I couldn't get them to stick to the bed or layer properly.

Hope that helps, any questions, just ask.

PjL