Printer dropping serial connection

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.
asacc19

Printer dropping serial connection

Post by asacc19 »

I have had an Anycubic Chiron for a couple of years now and am generally pretty happy with it and more or less know what I'm doing with it. I have also got it set up with Octoprint which makes it much more convenient to use. Recently I've noticed that the printer is dropping the serial connection. From what I can determine, one of the status readouts seems to read the hot end power at zero which must trigger the alert as evidenced by the following lines of debug with the hot end at 220°C and the build plate at 60°C:

Recv: T:220.00 /220.00 B:59.99 /60.00 @:73 B@:34
Recv: T:219.58 /220.00 B:59.96 /60.00 @:80 B@:36
Recv: T:219.38 /220.00 B:60.02 /60.00 @:0 B@:20
Recv: Error:Printer halted. kill() called!
Changing monitoring state from "Operational" to "Error"

Reproducing the issue is not that precise but from what I can determine, it looks like heating it up for several minutes and then moving the head and/or build plate will trigger it. I don't think it's an issue with the connection or thermistor as the temperature is still reading the right level.

This is where my knowledge on the electronics is a bit more limited. I am guessing the MOSFET is the next most likely candidate. I am also wondering whether there could be some tuning needed on the stepper driver voltage as on recent occasions I have observed some layer shifting.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction ?

ITillett88

Re: Printer dropping serial connection

Post by ITillett88 »

This may sound crazy, but it solved the same problem for me.

Is your computer, printers, outlets, and surge protector all correctly grounded?

My were not, and when I grabbed a multimeter and properly put the ground on the outlet, all of the problems went gone, including a difficulty with the camera intermittently working.

Give it a try. According to what I've read, USB connections take up static from ungrounded connectors and frequently create disconnection troubles.

asacc19

Post by asacc19 »

Thanks, that's a really good shout. However all those devices are plugged in to a surge protector, but I will double check to make sure it's behaving as it should!

asacc19

Post by asacc19 »

I did check the surge protector it's plugged in to and that does seem to be doing it's job correctly. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think it may be one of the areas I suggested in my original post if anyone else has any suggestions ?