Weird curling of only the skirt or brim

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

DanielG

Weird curling of only the skirt or brim

Post by DanielG »

Trying to print in PLA but I have a weird problem. I hadn’t printed anything in probably 6 months decided to get back into it and tried to print a small object, I print with a brim on small prints so it doesn’t lift. However any brim or skirts curl up really bad into like bands. But the actual print doesn’t curl at all and prints fine. The only difference other than time is an update to a newer cura.

The settings are the same
The bed is level
And I’ve always used glue stick just fine for plate adhesion.

Any ideas?

PjLLL

Re: Weird curling of only the skirt or brim

Post by PjLLL »

Do you have a BLTouch or similar? It could be your bed isn't flat, i.e. it rises in the middle and the brim isn't adhereing?

Possibly a problem with the first bit of filament put down. The actual object would have the first layer over-printed and re-heated by the second layer?

IC2010

Re: Weird curling of only the skirt or brim

Post by IC2010 »

Most printers have a glass or metal build surface that is both sturdy and far too smooth.

Getting your adhesion for the bed just right is critical when figuring out how to prevent ABS warping.

When extruded thermoplastics come into contact with smooth surfaces, they have nothing to grasp onto. As a result, cooling-induced warping becomes more evident.

The solution is to begin employing adhesion-enhancing building surfaces. There are several approaches you might use to do this. Both painter's tape and Kapton tape work well to decrease warping in PLA and ABS.