Layers Shifting

Specific discussion of FDM printers (fused deposition modelling - ie filament), with sections for makes and models.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Rigoletto

Layers Shifting

Post by Rigoletto »

Hi all!

I'm facing a bit of a challenge with my Creality K1 Max AI Fast 3D and could really use some guidance from the experts here. Lately, I've been experiencing an issue with layer shifting during my prints, and it's starting to become quite frustrating. Here's what's happening: During the print process, the layers seem to be shifting slightly, resulting in a misalignment that's throwing off the entire object's dimensions. The shift usually occurs around the same height in different prints, and I've noticed that it happens more often toward the top of the object.

I've tried troubleshooting on my own by checking the belts and making sure they're properly tensioned. I've also ensured that the print bed is leveled and that there's no obstruction causing the issue. However, despite my efforts, I can't seem to get rid of this layer-shifting problem.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue with their Creality K1 model? If so, what steps did you take to resolve it? Are there specific settings I should be adjusting in my slicing software to minimize the chances of layer shifting? Any insights or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-------------
Margaret Marshall
CoolAir24/7
Branch Manager
https://coolair247.co.uk

CrazyIvan

Re: Layers Shifting

Post by CrazyIvan »

Hello and welcome!

I'm not sure "experts" is a fitting description, I think we're all learning same as you, but by sharing experiences we should learn at a faster rate.

I'm going to change the title of this thread to make it more general: if we discount mechanical issues specific to your Creality, this might affect any FDM printer.

It seem to me there are three possibilities:
  • Data error in the gcode file;
  • Mechanical/firmware fault in the printer;
  • Materials defect or inappropriate processing.
If there is an error in the gcode, printing it should produce the same result every time, identically.

A mechanical fault should be obvious, I would have thought. The normal motions of the bed/head would have an apparent hiccup.

I'm erring towards the third: could it be that shrinkage post-print is causing the misalignment? What material are you using - ABS?